Last updated: July 9, 2019
Click here for previous version.
Defendify, Inc., a Delaware business corporation (“Defendify”, “we”, “us”) takes its data protection responsibilities seriously. This Privacy Notice explains who we are, how we collect, use and share personal information about you, and how you can exercise your privacy rights. It applies to all individuals who access our website(s), engage in our products and/or services (“Services”), or who participate in our recruitment activities. We recommend that you read this Privacy Notice in full to ensure you are fully informed.
You might find external links to third party websites on our website. This Privacy Notice does not apply to your use of a third party site.
What We Do
Defendify is a provider of cybersecurity solutions. You can find out more about Defendify at https://www.defendify.com/about or by contacting us using the information in the Contact section.
Collection and Uses of Your Personal Information
We collect and use information about you if you:
- Use one of our website(s) or online services
- Purchase or received one of our services
- You are identified as a potential customer
- Work with us as a business partner
- Apply for employment with Defendify
Use of our website(s) and applications
The personal information that we may collect about you when you visit our websites broadly falls into the following categories:
- Information you provide voluntarily: We collect personal information that you provide voluntarily through our websites, for example when completing online forms to contact us. The information we collect about you may include some or all of the following:
- Name and job title
- Company or Organization
- Contact information, including email address and telephone number(s)
- Information pertinent to fulfilling our Services to you; and
- Any other personal information that you voluntarily choose to provide to us.
If we ask you to provide any other personal information not described above, the personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point that you are asked to provide it.
- Information that we collect automatically: When you visit our websites or use our Services, we may collect or generate certain personal information automatically from your device. Specifically, this information may include information such as: your IP address, device type, unique device identification number, browser-type, operating system, broad geographic location (e.g., country or city-level location) and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our websites and Service, including the pages accessed and links clicked. Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our websites and use our Services, where they come from, and what content on our websites is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our websites and Services to our visitors and customers. Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained in our Cookie Notice.
- Password identified in Dark Web scans: Some of our Customers subscribe to Defendify plans that include a Dark Web Scan. Those Customers provide us email addresses and names associated with individuals employed by the Customer. If our scan of the Dark Web identifies compromised passwords associated with those individuals, we may provide those passwords to the Company.
We will use this information in the following ways:
- Providing our Services: When you use our websites and/or Services, we will use your personal information to provide the requested service. For example, to provide you with the content you access and request such as downloading content from our websites;
- Developing and improving Services: We use your personal information to analyze trends and to track your usage of and interactions with our websites and/or Service to the extent it is necessary in developing and improving our websites and providing our users with more relevant content or functionality;
- Promoting the security of our Services: We process your personal information by tracking the use of our websites and/or Services, creating aggregated, non-personal data, verifying accounts and activity, investigating suspicious activity and enforcing our terms and policies, to the extent this is necessary in promoting the safety and security of the websites, systems and applications and in protecting our rights and the rights of others;
- Assessing and improving user experience: We process device and usage data, which in some cases may be associated with your personal information, in order to analyze trends that assess and improve the overall user experience to the extent it is necessary in developing and improving the website and/or Service.
Purchase or received one of our Services or a Business Partner
When you engage our Services, we collect and use personal information which is necessary for the performance of those Services. The majority of the personal information we collect and use to provide our Services is supplied voluntarily by our customers and business partners. Because of this, if you are a customer or business partner of Defendify then it will be generally obvious to you what personal information we collect and use. This information may include:
- Basic information such as your name, the company you work for, your position and your relationship to a person;
- Contact information such as postal address, email address and telephone number(s);
- Financial information (such as bank account information, tax registration information, billing details) in order to manage and process any payments you make to us;
- Information held by credit references agencies and fraud prevention agencies, in order to assess any application for your use of our services;
- Identification and background information provided by you or collected as part of our business validation process; and
- Information and feedback you provide to us about our products and services in order to continuously improve the products and services
We will use this information in the following ways:
- Developing and improving our Services: We use your personal information to analyze trends and to track your usage of and interactions with our Services to the extent it is necessary for developing and improving our Services and providing our users with more relevant service offerings;
- Assessing and improving user experience: We use device and usage data, which in some cases may be associated with your personal information, in order to analyze trends in order to assess and improve the overall user experience to the extent it is necessary in assessing and improving our Services offering;
- Promoting the security of Services: We use your personal information by tracking the use of our Services, creating aggregated, non-personal data, verifying accounts and activity, investigating suspicious activity and enforcing our terms and policies, to the extent this is necessary for promoting the safety and security of the Services, systems and applications and in protecting our rights and the rights of others;
- Managing user registrations: If you have registered for an account with us, we use your personal information by managing your user account for the purpose of performing our contract with you according to applicable terms of service;
- Handling contact and user support requests: If you fill out a “Contact Me” web form or request customer support, or if you contact us by other means including via a phone call, we use your personal information in fulfilling your requests and communicating with you;
- Managing event registrations and attendance: We use your personal information to plan and host events or webinars for which you have registered or that you attend, including sending related communications to you;
- Managing contests or promotions: If you register for a contest or promotion, we use your personal information in accordance with the applicable rules and terms of the contest or promotion. Some contests or promotions have additional rules containing information about how we will use your personal information;
- Managing Payments: If you have provided financial information to us, we use your personal information to verify that information and to collect payments to the extent that doing so is necessary to complete the transaction and perform our contract with you;
- Reviewing compliance with applicable usage terms: We use your personal information to review compliance with the applicable usage terms in our customer’s contract to the extent that it is in our legitimate interest to ensure adherence to the relevant terms;
- Displaying personalized advertisements and content: We process your personal information to conduct marketing research, advertise to you, provide personalized information about us on and off our websites and to provide other personalized content based upon your activities and interests;
- Complying with legal obligations: We use your personal information when cooperating with public and government authorities, courts or regulators in accordance with our legal obligations under applicable laws, to protect our rights or is necessary in protecting against misuse or abuse of our websites and/or Services, protecting personal property or safety, pursuing remedies available to us and limiting our damages, complying with judicial proceedings, court orders or legal processes or to respond to lawful requests.
We collect information directly and from other third party lead providers about organizations who might like to hear from, use or receive our products and services. We will only do so in accordance with your preferences and as described in this Privacy Notice.
Specifically we may collect:
- Basic identification and contact information (such as your name, telephone number, gender, national ID number and email address) in order to fulfill any order, provide our Services and manage your account;
- Demographic information such as your age and information about your occupation;
We will use this information in the following:
- Identifying customer opportunities: We use your personal information to assess new potential customer opportunities;
- Registering office visitors: We use your personal information for security reasons, to register visitors to our offices and to manage non-disclosure agreements that visitors may be required to sign, to the extent it is necessary in protecting our offices and our confidential information against unauthorized access;
- Sending marketing communications: We will use your personal information to send you marketing information, product recommendations and other non-transactional communications (e.g., marketing newsletters, telemarketing calls, SMS, or push notifications) about us and our affiliates and partners, including information about our products, promotions or events.
Apply for employment with Defendify
Defendify collects information from and about candidates in connection with available employment opportunities at Defendify. This information may include resumes, identification documents, academic records, work history, employment and references. Defendify uses your personal information to match your skills, experience and education with specific roles.
We collect several types of information from and about you that broadly falls into the following categories:
- Information you provide voluntarily: We collect personal information that you provide voluntarily when applying for a job. The information we collect about you may include some or all of the following:
- Contact information (for example, your name, home and email addresses, telephone number)
- Nationality and immigration status
- Job title
- Compensation information (for example, shares of stock and details about any entitlements to shares of stock awarded)
- Background check and drug screening information (where permitted or required by law)
- Employment contracts
- Competency assessments and education history
- Information we collect from third parties
- Information collected from other sources: We may obtain information about you from other sources, to the extent permitted by applicable law, in connection with your application and as part of the interview process. For example, we obtain information through your contact with us from third parties such as referees, employment research firms, identity verification and background check service providers, and other websites on the Internet (subject to such third party’s privacy policies). For example, you may choose to provide us with access to certain personal information stored by third parties on professional social media sites (for example, LinkedIn).
- Information we collect as you navigate through the application site: As you navigate through our application site, we may also collect certain information from you about your visit to our websites using "cookies" and other similar tracking technologies.
We may use information that we collect about you for recruitment and human resources management purposes at a global level, including:
- Carrying out and supporting human resources functions and activities, including processing and evaluating your application, assessing your eligibility to work, making hiring decisions, and managing and improving our recruiting and hiring processes
- Carrying out obligations under employment and benefits laws
- Managing workplace safety and health
- Administering employee participation in benefits, compensation, human resources, and training plans and programs
- Informing you of future employment opportunities (unless you tell us you do not want to be contacted for such purposes)
- Complying with legal obligations and internal policies
- Managing and conducting business activities, including allocating company assets and human resources; project management, records management, and compilation of audit trails or other reporting tools; managing mergers, acquisitions, sales, re‑organizations, or disposals and integration with purchaser
- Managing the online career portal and conducting background and other pre‑employment checks to the extent permitted by applicable law
If you are hired, your information may be used in connection with your employment (for example, to establish an employment record; administer employee participation in benefits and training plans and programs; or conduct onboarding activities, including granting access to internal systems).
In general, we do not require job applicants to provide sensitive personal information (such as information about your health, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation), but you may provide such information voluntarily at your discretion. If you agree to provide this information, it will normally be used only for the purposes of diversity monitoring and providing a suitable working environment for you (for example, if you require disability access) and will not be a factor in the hiring or selection process.
For certain roles (e.g., United States federal‑facing roles), however, we may ask for nationality to confirm that we are in compliance with our legal obligations. This information will be viewable in the hiring process as it is required for determining eligibility.
Your Choices and Rights
Defendify respects your rights in how your personal information is used and shared. You may request access or corrections to your personal Information and make choices about the kinds of marketing materials you receive (or choose not to receive marketing from Defendify at all).
We may ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and for security purposes, before disclosing the personal information request to you. We reserve the right to charge a fee where permitted by law.
You can exercise your rights by using one of the methods in the How to Contact Us section. Subject to legal and other permissible considerations, we will make every reasonable effort to honor your request promptly or inform you if we require further information in order to fulfill your request. We may not always be able to fully address your request, for example if it would impact the duty of confidentiality we owe to others, or if we are legally entitled to deal with the request in a different way.
Access, Correction or Deletion of Your Information
If you would like to correct or update your personal information, or to request access to or deletion of your personal information, you may contact us by using one of the methods listed in the How to Contact Us section below including your name, email address, account identification, and purpose of the request. If you request a change to or deletion of your personal information, please note that we may still need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion (e.g., when you make a purchase or enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the personal information provided until after the completion of such purchase or promotion). Some of your information may also remain within our systems and other records where necessary for compliance with applicable law.
At your request and where the law requires us to do so, we will confirm what personal information we hold about you. You may also have a legal right to obtain a copy of your personal information. You can make such a request by making a written request in one of the ways described in the How to Contact Us section below. We may charge a processing fee for this service where permitted by law and we will require evidence of your identity before fulfilling your request.
Advertising and Marketing Choices
Sharing Your Personal Information
- Within Defendify for purpose of data processing or storage,
- With Defendify business partners or vendors, so that they may share information with you about their products or services. To opt-out of Defendify sharing with third parties for their marketing purpose, you may contact us by using one of the methods listed in the How to Contact Us section below,
- With business partners, service vendors, authorized third-party agents, or contractors to provide a requested service or transaction. Examples include, but are not limited to: processing of orders and credit card transactions, assisting with sales-related efforts or post-sales support, and/or providing customer and/or technical support.
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or to another company.
- In response to a request for information by a competent authority if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or is otherwise required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process.
- With law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties as necessary to comply with legal process or meet national security requirements; protect the rights, property, or safety of Defendify, its business partners, you, or others; or as otherwise required by applicable law.
- In aggregated, anonymized, and/or de-identified form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
- If we otherwise notify you and you consent to the sharing.
We intend to protect the personal information entrusted to us and treat it securely in accordance with this Privacy Notice. Defendify implements physical, administrative, and technical safeguards designed to protect your information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. We also contractually require that our suppliers protect such information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure. The Internet, however, cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any personal information you provide to us.
We do not knowingly collect personal information online from anyone under the age of 18. If we learn that we have collected personal information from anyone under the age of 18, we will take appropriate measures to investigate and address the issue promptly.
Retention of Personal Information
We will store your personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, as explained in this Privacy Notice. In some circumstances we may store your personal information for longer periods of time, for instance where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, regulatory, tax, or accounting requirements. In specific circumstances we may store your personal information for longer periods of time so that we have an accurate record of your dealings with us in the event of any complaints or challenges, or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation relating to your personal information or dealings. We may also retain your job application data to consider you for other job opportunities where such retention is permitted by law, unless you do not permit us to retain your data for such purposes.
Forums and Chat Rooms
If you participate in a discussion forum, local communities, or chat room on a Defendify website, you should be aware that the information you provide there (i.e. your public profile) will be made broadly available to others, and could be used to contact you, send you unsolicited messages, or for purposes neither Defendify nor you have control over. Also, please recognize that individual forums and chat rooms may have additional rules and conditions. Defendify is not responsible for the personal information or any other information you choose to submit in these forums. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us by using one of the methods listed in the How to Contact Us section below. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
If you have any questions, concerns or complaints regarding our compliance with this notice and the data protection laws, or if you wish to exercise your rights, we encourage you to first contact us using the contact details below. We will investigate and attempt to resolve complaints and disputes and will make every reasonable effort to honor your wish to exercise your rights as quickly as possible and, in any event, within the timescales provided by data protection laws.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Defendify, Inc.
- c/o Privacy
- 175 Lancaster Street, Suite 216
- Portland, ME USA 04101
Updates to this Privacy Statement
We may amend this notice from time to time to keep it up to date with legal requirements and the way we operate our business. Please regularly check for the latest version of this notice. If we make significant changes to this Privacy Notice, we will seek to inform you by notice on our website or by email.